But no, I wasn't going to let my own mind get in the way of progress. So I boldly undercoated with black spray... last week... and I have finally begun with the hand painting.
I have used a number of Resene test pots that I have matched to the GW colours (as best as possible), but I will refer to the GW colour when I discuss paints to keep it simpler (for me).
Oh, and GOODNESS THERE IS A LOT OF DETAIL. Also, GW's video (which I watched again) should be renamed "An overt marketing video on how we want to increase sales of every single paint, particularly metallics, that we produce".
These two photos are Step 1 (post-undercoat). I got out some spray cans - Mournfang Brown and an old can of Camo Green - and lightly sprayed some places on the board as you can see. Why? Well, it meant that I could overbrush metallics on top and have some colour come through underneath.
I wish I could have found my old Boltgun Metal can, I must have lent it to someone :(
|Where I am at right now|
|This one is the furtherest along|
Step 2 - I have painted the following:
- Flagstones - Khorne Red, stippled blotches on them of Steel Legion Drab and Rhinox Hide, drybrushed them with Bugmans Glow (these colours, along with the dirt, fit the basing scheme I have on all my Astra Militarum, Inquisition, Sisters of Battle, and Word Bearers)
- Metalwork: Mix of Balthasar Gold, Screaming Bell, Warplock Bronze, and Leadbelcher
- Dirt: Rhinox Hide
- Road and drains: Eshin Grey, drybrushed with Administratum Grey
Where to from here:
- Finish base colour metallics over the remaining 4.5 boards
- Paint all the skulls...
- Paint bits of detail here and there (lights, maybe control panels... etc.)
- Random highlights of metallics
- Airbrush a 50:50 mix of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade over the whole board to bring it all together
- Add some different ink colours in random spots
- Drybrush flagstones, guttering, and dirt with Ushabti Bone
- Drybrush all metallic bits with Necron Compound
- Add some effects (corrosion, etc)
I am going to try and get in a couple of hours a day on this.
This is certainly an interesting project that requires some patience. It would be cool if there were a few of you working on it together (along with a few beers and a BBQ), painting it on my own has been a bit... tedious.