So, having played in and run a few tournaments along the way, and seeing where 7th Ed. is at the moment (with the reasonably unfettered ability to pick whatever you want), I started having some discussions and general reminiscing with some of the regular (and not so regular) attendees about ye olde dayes - and how it would be nice to have an opportunity to play using those sorts of armies.
The outcome of all this was the players pack for Maelstrom IX: Disjunction. The restrictions that I put in the pack were:
- Consist of 1500 points or less
- Be Battle-forged (no Unbound armies)
- Be sourced from a single parent Codex (e.g. Space Marines: Salamanders Chapter Tactics; Imperial Knights)
- Adepta Sororitas and Inquisition and/or Officio Assassinorium
- Grey Knights and Inquisition
- Astra Militarum and Militarum Tempestus
- Militarum Tempestus and Inquisition
- Craftworld Eldar and Harlequins
- Dark Eldar and Harlequins
- Tyranids and Genestealer Cult
- Cult Mechanicus and Skitarii
- Space Marines (any Chapter Tactics) and Kill Team Cassius
1 Combined Arms Detachment
0-4 unique Codex Detachments or Formations presented in a Dataslate* (for any army that does not have Codex Detachment or Formation options, e.g. Adepta Sororitas this includes taking a CAD + allied detachment/formations)
0-1 Lord of War/Gargantuan Creature (and only if listed in the army’s parent Codex, e.g. Logan Grimnar, Ork Stompas, Tau Stormsurge etc**. The exception to this is Codex: Imperial Knights – there is no restriction to LoW from this Codex, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to take them!.
* Each specific Codex Detachment and Dataslate Formation is considered unique (0-1) and may not be duplicated. Remember you can only source from a single parent Codex with the above exceptions.
For example, if you took a Space Marine Gladius Strike force consisting of a Demi-Company, Librarius Conclave, and a 10th Company Task Force, this would count as 4x Unique Codex Detachments or Formations (i.e. 1 Detachment and 3 Formations).
** So no allied Imperial Knights… even if compulsory in a Formation
Armies may not include:
- Allies of any sort that are not outlined above
- Apocalypse/Planetstrike/CityFight/Escalation/Spearhead/Stronghold Assault/etc. supplements (excluding Codex updates/Formation options from Warzone supplements). Note that you are allowed to use the Lords of War Warlord traits from Warhammer 40,000: Escalation
- Apocalypse Formations
- Forge World army lists/formations/detachments
- Forge World units (it is completely appropriate to use FW models as proxies for core rules models, as long as they are not too divergent)
- Material or army lists from the Horus Heresy books (using HH models in your 40k army is acceptable, as long as they are not used as proxies for something else)
- No Rules or Army Lists marked as ‘Trial’ or ‘Optional’
People who have been playing 40k for a while will recognise the nod to the 3rd/4th/5th Codexes + allies. There is also a small composition score towards the overall score (worth just over 15% of the total), with maximum points for someone that takes a CAD only. So it will be interesting to see what people come up with...
See here for a quick batrep using the composition and missions from the Players Pack (thanks Ryan and Gareth)
The feedback so far has been pretty positive - apart from a couple of people who don't like these sorts of restrictions to how they want to play the game (and were unlikely to attend anyway in my view) - and that's fine. This is aimed at my target audience (and anyone else who wants to play something different).
Already 11+ people have either registered or noted their intention to play, and with it only being sent out this week and nearly 3mths to go I am reasonably happy with that.